Coffee since years have been popular as brown colored drink with appealing aroma and taste. You might find it strange to brew the green colored coffee beans to get your favorite beverage but as the current trend suggests – GREEN IS IN!
Green coffee beans have grabbed lot of attention worldwide after the researchers revealed the health benefits of these unroasted beans on TV. These beans are the same coffee beans that you consume daily in the form of drink but there is just one difference – These beans are unroasted!
Green Coffee Beans – A brief overview
Green coffee beans are the coffee beans in their natural form. The coffee beans grow green initially and are rich in the vital health compound called Chlorogenic Acid, which is mainly responsible for weight loss. Later these beans are roasted for commercial use where they turn brown and lose Chlorogenic Acid to large extent. Hence, those who are looking forward to avail the health benefits of coffee may use the green coffee beans in unroasted form.
It is easy to find the roasted coffee beans in your neighborhood but to get the fresh green coffee beans, you will have to carry out some research online as there are many types of green coffee bean available from different locations and you will love to have the best.
Once you have found the green coffee beans of your choice, the next step is to brew these beans into a health packed drink. Here is the method of brewing these unroasted coffee beans into cuddle cup that you would love to sip for relaxation and health.
Points worth noting before brewing your own green coffee
Coffee beans like any other beans are complex in nature. There are about 40 different substances responsible for the taste and health properties of coffee. These beans are “polyphasic” in nature, which means they keep changing their form from time to time. The beans on crop may undergo many changes when they are rested, roasted, or stored. The brew would also change its form when it stands in the cup formore than 15 minutes. You may therefore use the right method to get the perfect blend. Heating is inevitable part of coffee preparation as some substances present in green coffee beans are not palatable or may be objectionable.
You cannot have shortcuts while preparing this coffee as heating is highly recommended to make this drink palatable.
How to make green coffee drink from unroasted coffee beans?
- Always use the best quality Arabica coffee beans to get the best taste. You can also use the one grown by organic farming.
- If you are allergic to coffee or have any tolerance issues then consult your medical practitioner before consuming this drink.
Brewing the green coffee beans
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- Green Coffee Beans (Arabica or similar) 20 g
- Hot water 300 ml or 2 cups
- Optional – honey or sugar
Preparing coffee using green coffee bean powder
- Grind the green coffee beans in grinder to get the fine or coarse powder depending on your liking and the available appliance. Green coffee beans are unroasted beans, hence they are very hard to grind. You will require heavy duty grinder for the same.
- Divide this powder into two cups and pour hot water. Water should be hot but not boiling (about 90°C).
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes and then strain the mixture with fine sieve to get your drink ready to sip.
- You can add sugar or honey to this if required but for those looking for the health benefits, it is recommended to have it plain.
Preparing coffee using whole green coffee beans
- Preparing coffee from whole beans is time consuming method, hence you may prepare this coffee in large batches. Soak the beans overnight in water. You may increase the quantity of water in same proportion as the beans.
- Boil the mixture of soaked beans and water on high flame. After one boil, simmer the mixture on low flame for 15 minutes. Give an occasional stir.
- Cool the mixture completely before sieving it to remove beans from the mixture.
- The concoction you are now having is concentrated and strong to be consumed directly. You may add filtered or distilled water to dilute the concoction as required.
- If you have prepared this in larger batch then you can store the rest in refrigerator to be used within 3 days.
- Add cardamom or other additives to bring more taste to this health drink.
Whatever method you use to prepare the green coffee, make sure you take one cup after each meal for best results.
Green Coffee Bean Extract
Apart from using the fresh green coffee beans or the powdered beans, you can also use green coffee extract readily available in the market to avail the health benefits of green coffee beans without putting in efforts to prepare the fresh brew. Green coffee bean extract is the concentrated coffee broth where water content is minimal as it is either dried or evaporated through advanced processing.
The taste of green coffee beans is very much different from the roasted beans that you usually make. It has more neutral taste and very little flavor. The flavor you get from the green beans is not very strong and hence you will get little watery taste. Those having problems with the taste of green coffee can rather take green coffee extract as it is easy to take and have health benefits similar or better than the fresh blend you may prepare at home.
You can select your own way of having green coffee for weight loss and other health benefits but make sure that there is at least 45% Chlorogenic Acid content in the supplement you take to get the maximum benefit of the drink. Anything below that would just be a supplement or drink with all health benefits missing!